You have just received your new functional orthotics. These represent the most advanced scientific concept in functional foot care. They are multi-purpose devices for most people.
It may take approximately 1-6 weeks for you to become accustomed to wearing these orthotics. During this adjustment period, there may be some discomfort in the form of foot or leg cramping or direct irritation to the skin. To minimize discomfort, the following instructions will be helpful:
- Wear the orthotics for 1-2 walking hours the first day,2-3 hours the second day, 3-4 hours the third day, 4-5 hours the fourth day, and so on so that by the end of the first week, you are wearing the orthotics seven hours per day. — Children usually adapt more rapidly than adults. Note however that this program is not necessarily strict. You may prefer to divide the wearing time during the day. Do not be discouraged if your adjustment period is longer than the aforementioned schedule.
- The orthotics should be worn with some type of stocking during the break-in period to minimize skin irritation.
- If the orthotics squeak in the shoes, sprinkle a small amount of ordinary talcum powder in the shoes.
- The orthotics may be cleaned with soap and lukewarm water. Do not use extremely hot water or-they will-be damaged.
- If the orthotics or stabilizing device (post) on the bottom are broken or damaged, notify the office as soon as possible.
- You should use a closed heel flat shoe or athletic shoe with this device. For specialty sport-activity; you may need a modified device.
- Please call the office if you have any difficulties or questions about the use or care of these orthotics (936) 559-1700.